Sept. 6, 2015
Final Stats |
FORT WORTH, Texas –
A pair of goals from Michelle Prokof
in the second half helped propel TCU to its third straight victory with a 4-0 win over Oral Roberts Sunday afternoon.
TCU set the pace early in the match but it took 41 minutes to find the back of the net. Oral Roberts was whistled for a foul late in the first half. Bobbi Clemmer took the free kick and executed a give-and-go with Ryan Williams, who went streaking down the right side. She sent a perfect cross into the penalty box and Meghan Murphy’s header sailed into the net for a 1-0 lead.
The Horned Frogs broke the game open in the second, scoring three times. The offensive surge started early as ORU was called for a hand ball in the penalty area. Prokof easily converted the penalty kick for a 2-0 lead in the 47th minute.
Just under 10 minutes later, Prokof struck again as she took a feed from Ryan Williams at the top of the penalty box and sent a low shot past the Golden Eagle goaltender for her second of the match in the 58th minute.
TCU rounded out the scoring in the 69th minute on a goal from Faith Carter, her second in as many matches. Hard work earned the Frogs a corner kick and Eryn Spencer’s feed was right on target for Carter, who headed it in for a 4-0 lead.
In goal, Shannon Coffer was once again rock solid. She made five stops in 69 minutes before giving way to Justine Rendl for the final 21 minutes. Rendl made the only stop she needed to, preserving TCU’s second shutout of the season.
Stat of the Game
24 – Number of shots taken by the Horned Frogs in Sunday’s 4-0 win over Oral Roberts.
Quotes of the Game
Head Coach Eric Bell
“It was hot as could be and I know that Sunday games are typically a grind. Like last Sunday, we used the entire team and it was an entire team effort and we were able to get a good result. ORU is a good team and I have a lot of respect for them. In the second half, the kids came out and took care of what they needed to take care of. I’m very happy with the total team effort.”
“We are deeper than we have been in year’s past, so in the second half we are able to exhibit our depth a little bit more as the game goes on. We are more fresher than the other team.”
• Justine Rendl made her collegiate debut. She’s the seventh Horned Frog to make her first appearance in the Purple and White this season.
• Michelle Prokof notched her second career multi-goal game. She had a hat trick as a freshman against Central Arkansas on Sept. 22, 2013.
• Michelle Prokof now has 16 career goals. The four this season matches her total from the 2014 campaign.
• Meghan Murphy’s goal was her first since scoring against Illinois State on Sept. 6, 2013. The goal is the third of her career.
• Faith Carter has scored in back-to-back games.
• The assist for Eryn Spencer was her second of the year and the third of her career.
• Ryan Williams collected her first career multi-point game with two assists. She now has five in her career.
TCU (3-3-0) continues its four-game homestand Friday when it hosts Abilene Christian. Game time is set for 7 p.m.