TCU Plays To 1-1 Tie With The Sooners

Amy Van Zandt scored the lone goal in TCU's tie with Oklahoma.

Amy Van Zandt scored the lone goal in TCU's tie with Oklahoma.

Sept. 13, 2003

Fort Worth, Texas - The TCU Horned Frogs soccer team played it's second overtime contest this season, playing to a 1-1 tie with the Oklahoma Sooners on Saturday at Garvey-Rosenthal Stadium in the TCU Tournament. The Frogs picked up an early goal, but were unable to find the back of the net the rest of the game en route to the tie.

TCU got things rolling early as Jessi Moore and Amy Van Zandt hooked up for the Frogs only goal of the game. Moore threaded a pass through to Van Zandt who was camping out in the box. She challenged the goalkeeper and buried it low in the corner of the goal for her second goal of the season. The Frogs outshot the Sooners 7-2 in the first half, but were unable to beat goalkeeper Catherine Wade again.

The TCU defense smothered Oklahoma and didn't allow a Sooner shot to get to Frog goalkeeper Jennifer Sims in the first half. Sims only faced five shots in 110:00 minutes in goal, allowing one goal and making one save. The Sooners picked up the equalizer as they beat Sims with 26 minutes to go in the game. Christy Kenkel picked up the ball off of a defender and shot it hard from Sims' left side and buried it in the lower right hand corner of the goal to tie the game at 1-1.

TCU once again outshot the Sooners in the second half, 5-2, including two shots on goal, but came up empty. Late in the second half, the Frogs made a push for the game-winner, but put two shots high over the net, keeping the game tied and heading to overtime.

TCU dominated the overtime periods, piling up five shots to the Sooners one, but Wade was equal to the task, making the only two saves she needed to to preserve the tie. Ashley Fortune had the best chance in the overtime as she battled one-on-one with the Keeper and saw her shot blocked by Wade to end the threat.



In the earlier game of the TCU tournament, the SMU Lady Mustangs topped the Baylor Bears 2-1. All three goals came in the second half, as SMU picked up the first and last goal of the half. SMU's Kim Harvey picked up the game-winner for the Lady Mustangs with just under ten minutes to go in the game.

The TCU Tournament will conclude tomorrow as TCU will face Baylor at 1:00 at Garvey-Rosenthal Stadium. With the tie, TCU moves to 2-2-1 on the season. Sunday's game is the Frogs final match before Conference USA action begins next week.

    Cook Children's Albertsons
    Pepsi American Airlines