TCU Women's Soccer Ties Rival SMU 1-1

Oct. 2, 2002

FORT WORTH, Texas - The TCU women's soccer team (2-6-4) came back to earn a solid result, a 1-1 tie, against the SMU Mustangs (4-4-2) on Wednesday afternoon at Garvey-Rosenthal Soccer Stadium. Sophomore Laura Greenberg posted the Horned Frogs' equalizing goal in the 70th minute, and TCU was able to contain SMU over the final 40 minutes of play to achieve the draw.

With the hard-fought tie, TCU is now 0-20-2 all-time against SMU in a series that dates back to 1986. In addition, the tie halted the Frogs' 19-game losing streak to the Mustangs.

"SMU has always had a great program," TCU head coach David Rubinson. "Our team played so hard throughout the match, and their efforts were rewarded with a tie. It isn't a win, but this game will serve us well. It should give us some renewed confidence that we can play with anybody."

The first half of play was scoreless, despite the fact that SMU managed to attempt 17 shots. The Mustangs controlled the majority of the possession time in the TCU end of the field, especially in the opening 25 minutes. TCU goalkeeper Ruth DeJong stopped all five Mustang shots on goal, and SMU had a pair of shots hit the frame in the opening stanza.

However, SMU's first shot of the second half, which came in the 51st minute, put the Mustangs on top. After taking a corner kick, SMU settled the ball at the feet of Misty Noland just outside the 18-yard box. Noland played a through ball past the TCU defense to Jill Heinemann, who had snuck into the penalty area. Heinemann drilled a shot from eight yards away that found the upper-portion of the net.

But 20 minutes later, TCU answered when Julie Vaughn took a free kick from 40 yards out and skipped the ball to sophomore Laura Greenberg in the center of the penalty area. Greenberg unleashed a shot that was stopped by a Mustang defender, but Greenberg gained control of the rebound and drilled her second attempt into the net to tie the score at 1-1.



After 20 scoreless minutes, the game went into overtime, the fourth such contest for TCU this season. The first overtime passed quietly, as neither team was able to attempt a shot. Each team took a pair of shots in the second extra frame, and TCU had the best scoring chance when senior Alecia Grieshaber struck a 20-yard shot that narrowly missed the upper corner of the goal.

For the afternoon, SMU owned a 20-shot advantage (32-12). DeJong played well again in goal for the Frogs, increasing her C-USA-leading save total with eight more stops. SMU's Erin McLeod turned away four TCU attempts.

TCU's next match is at Oklahoma on Friday, Oct. 4 at 7:30 p.m. TCU returns home and also gets back to Conference USA play on Friday, Oct. 11 when the Horned Frogs host Southern Miss at 3:00 p.m.

Team 1-2-OT1-OT2-F
SMU 0-1-0-0-1
TCU 0-1-0-0-1

Scoring Summary:
SMU- Heinemann (Noland) 51'
TCU- Greenberg (UA) 70'

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
Academics @TCUAASO
Baseball @TCU_Baseball
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
Equestrian @TCUWEquestrian
Football @TCUFootball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
Rifle @TCURifle
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
Soccer @TCUSoccer
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB
Volleyball @TCUvolleyball