Horned Frogs Fall To First-Place Saint Louis, 2-0

Amy Van Zandt took five shots in the loss.

Amy Van Zandt took five shots in the loss.

Oct. 3, 2004

Final Stats

Fort Worth, Texas - The Horned Frogs dropped their first match ever to the Saint Louis Billikens Sunday afternoon at Garvey-Rosenthal Stadium. The Billikens scored a goal in each half to defeat the Frogs 2-0. Jessi Moore and Amy Van Zandt led the offensive attack for the Frogs as they each took five shots in the game.

The Frogs and the Billkens battled back and forth in the opening minutes of the contest as each team had good scoring chances early on. The Billikens were awarded two corner kicks in the first minute of play but were unable to put any shots on goal.

Five minutes later, Laura Greenberg found herself with a golden opportunity to put the Frogs up early, but her shot sailed just left and out of danger. But the chances kept coming. Four minutes later a Kim Ozenick pass deep in the offensive zone was just out of reach of Sarah Linden.

Twenty minutes into the contest the Billikens had the best chance so far in the match as Billikens leading scorer Jamie Perry came flying in on goalkeeper Lindsey White. White came out to challenge the ball and corralled the ball just as Perry took the shot.

White dodged another bullet as she misplayed a ball outside of the penalty box setting up a direct kick for Saint Louis. Courtney Hulcer took the shot, but shot it high and over the back of the net to keep the game scoreless.

Saint Louis finally connected in the 32nd minute on a shot by Maureen Hughes. Kim Sinclair headed down a clearing attempt by the Frogs that went right to Dee Guempel. Guempel dribbled the ball and passed it a waiting Hughes who took the quick turn around shot that sailed by White.

The Frogs hung in there, but couldn't get the equalizer in the first half as the Billikens outshot them 6-5. Billiken goalkeeper Amanda Martin made two stops in the frame, while White made one.



The Horned Frogs put the pressure on in the second half, outshooting the Billikens 11-7, but couldn't solve Martin. TCU's best scoring chance of the half came half way through the period when Moore delivered a pass to Van Zandt just outside of the penalty box. Van Zandt one-touched the ball backwards to a waiting Laura Greenberg. Greenberg's shot sailed high over the post out of danger.

Saint Louis made it 2-0 in the 59th minute when Perry scored on a pass from Guempel. Perry shot the ball to the opposite post for her fourth of the season.

The Frogs had chances late on two direct kicks as a result of Saint Louis fouls deep in the defensive zone, but Martin was there to make both stops. In all, she made six saves in the game. White did her best to keep the game close as she stopped four shots.

TCU, now 4-7 overall and 2-2 in Conference USA, will host Houston in their fifth straight conference match on Friday, Oct. 8. Match time is set for 4:00 p.m. at Garvey-Rosenthal Stadium.

    Cook Children's Albertsons
    Pepsi American Airlines