Frogs Fall Short At Marquette, 3-2

Oct. 15, 2004

Final Stats

Milwaukee, Wis. - After an offensive start to the game that saw five goals in the first 24 minutes, the Frogs and the Golden Eagles settled into a tough defensive battle. The Frogs could never get the equalizer as they dropped a 3-2 decision at Marquette on Friday night. Laura Greenberg continued her offensive prowess as she tallied three points in the game on a goal and an assist. Ashley Pierret did all she could to keep it a one-goal game in her half of work as she made the only stop of the half she needed to.

The Frogs found themselves in a 3-0 hole just 10:50 into the game as the Golden Eagles came out with some fire. Marquette took advantage of some TCU miscues and scored on some tough angle shots to take the commanding lead. Claire Weber got it started for the Golden Eagles as she took advantage of a Lindsay White mistake to bury it in the empty net for the 1-0 lead.

Less than a minute later Heather Goranson gave Marquette a 2-0 lead on a great fed by Julie Thompson. Thompson fed the ball across field to Goranson who dribbled in a put the tough angle shot in the goal. Sarah Uyenishi made it 3-0 off of a corner kick.

TCU began their comeback in the 18th minute as the Frogs got the offensive momentum going full swing. Jessi Moore fed a great pass to Laura Greenberg who was streaking down the middle of the field. Greenberg got past her defender and ran down the ball shooting it over Marquette goalkeeper Katie Bissen to get the Frogs on the board.

Six minutes later, TCU made it 3-2 on Bjarnvieg Birgisdottir's first career goal. The Frogs were pressuring deep in their offensive zone when Greenberg passed the ball to Birgisdottir who was coming at full speed. Birgisdottir put her foot on the ball and rocketed it over the keeper's head.



TCU kept the pressure on but couldn't get the equalizer before the half as the Frogs went into the half down 3-2. In all the Golden Eagles outshot the Frogs 10-4 in the first half including a 7-3 advantage in shots on goal.

Ten minutes into the second half, the Frogs looked like they were going to get the equalizer as Angie Nickens passed the ball to a streaking Moore. Moore had her defender beat and took the hard shot that went over Bissen's head and clanked off the crossbar and out of danger.

Marquette put a lot of pressure on late in the second half, but the Frogs defense kept them from getting deep in the offensive zone as they were unable to get any good shots off against Ashley Pierret.

TCU kept getting chances to tie the game as both Nickens and Bara Gunnarsdottir had some great looks for shots, but the wind pushed them wide of the goal.

Breanne Kaldheim saved the day for the Frogs as she blocked a potential shot that would have made it 4-2. But the Frogs defensive dominance would go for naught as they couldn't get the equalizer.

The Frogs, 5-9, 3-3 in C-USA action, are back in action on Sunday as they travel to Chicago to face defending tournament champions DePaul. Match time with the Blue Demons is set for noon.

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
Academics @TCUAASO
Baseball @TCU_Baseball
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
Equestrian @TCUWEquestrian
Football @TCUFootball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
Rifle @TCURifle
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
Soccer @TCUSoccer
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB
Volleyball @TCUvolleyball