Oct. 19, 2017
AMES, Iowa –
A shot from distance off the foot of Yazmeen Ryan
gave TCU a 1-0 overtime win at Iowa State on Thursday night in Ames. The overtime victory was the Horned Frogs’ fourth of the season.
TCU dominated from start to finish and was finally rewarded for its efforts in the 98th minute as Yazmeen Ryan connected from distance. McKenzie Oliver did what she had been doing all night, creating chances. She found Ryan streaking downfield and fed her an on-point pass that Ryan was able to shot to the far corner for the game winner.
Oliver herself fired off a game-high six shots in the match. None better than her chance in the 34th minute. She found herself alone in front of the goal, but her shot was corralled by the Cyclone keeper.
TCU fired off 13 shots in the second half, but the Cyclones consistently got their bodies in front of shots. Iowa State blocked seven of the 13 shots, most of which were fired from inside the 18-yard box.
Defensively, TCU limited the Cyclones to just four shots and only one on goal, which was easily picked up by Katie Lund.
Stat of the Game
8 – TCU has tied the school record with its eighth shutout of the season. It has been done in three other campaigns (2012, 2015 and 2016).
Quotes of the Game
Head Coach Eric Bell
On the game:
“I thought we played really well. We created a bunch of chances that didn’t show up in the stat sheet. They blocked a lot that would have been on frame, so credit to them. We generated a lot of opportunities on our corners and set pieces. Most important, we didn’t give them anything; nothing dangerous. I thought we did really well defensively.”
On scoring in overtime:
“I think after playing all these overtime games and winning most of them, we have a belief about our group that we can find a way to score a goal. That mentality is quite good. I am proud of our group. We are creating chances and not giving up a lot.”
• TCU improved to 4-0-1 in overtime this season.
• TCU moved to 10-5-17 in overtime under the guidance of head coach Eric Bell.
• TCU is now 34-22-49 all-time in overtime games.
• TCU outshot its opponent for the 12th time this season.
• TCU registered 20 shots for the fifth time this year.
• TCU notched its eighth shutout of the year.
• Katie Lund played the entirety of the match for the 11th time this season.
• Lund tallied the 10th complete-game shutout of her career.
• McKenzie Oliver recorded her fourth assist of the and the seventh of her career.
• Yazmeen Ryan tallied her fourth goal of the season and her second career game-winner.
• Cachet Lue, Tijana Djuricek, Ariana Owens, Karitas Tomasdottir and Ryan Williams played the entirety of the match.
TCU (11-4-1, 5-1-1 Big 12) concludes the road trip Sunday afternoon at No. 8 West Virginia. Game time against the Mountaineers is set for Noon (CT).