Oct. 27, 2017
Final Stats |
FORT WORTH – Yazmeen Ryan
was fouled inside the penalty box with 1:35 remaining in the first overtime, setting up Tijana Djuricek’s game-winning penalty kick as TCU rallied for a 2-1 win over Baylor Friday night in the regular season finale.
The first half was a spirited affair as the action went back and forth. Both goal keepers were called upon to make diving stops to keep the game scoreless heading to the half.
Baylor struck first in the 57th minute as Raegan Padgett broke free on a 2-on-1. Her shot from in tight snuck into the near post for the 1-0 Baylor lead.
TCU immediately went on the attack and eventually knotted the game in the 69th minute. Yazmeen Ryan made a strong feed to Emma Heckendorn, who’s shot from just outside the 18 went into the upper near corner for a tie game. The Frogs continued to generate chances but couldn’t find the go-ahead goal in regulation.
In overtime, Heckendorn got the play started with a leading throw-in for Ryan. The freshman picked up speed heading towards goal when she was tripped up inside the 18. On the ensuing penalty kick, Tijana Djuricek didn’t miss her mark as her first career goal won the game.
Stat of the Game
12 – TCU has 12 wins, tying for the second-most in program history. The six conference victories are the most-ever by a TCU squad.
Quotes of the Game
Head Coach Eric Bell
On the game:
“I’m excited for our group and really excited for our seniors. It all came together and looked really good.”
On Emma’s goal:
“It was huge. I thought we deserved goals a bit before that, but we kept on plugging away, kept on believing and passing the ball, creating chances. Credit to her on playing a great ball.”
On overtime success:
“They believe. We’ve done it before so it’s not a situation where they are afraid. They know that overtime is a golden goal situation and they don’t have to be precise. They’ve been able to find a way to score goals in overtime against some good teams.”
• TCU improved to 5-0-1 in overtime this season.
• TCU moved to 11-5-17 in overtime under the guidance of head coach Eric Bell.
• TCU is now 35-22-49 all-time in overtime games.
• TCU outshot its opponent for the 13th time this season.
• Emma Heckendorn netted her fourth goal of the season and the 16th of her career.
• Heckendorn sits alone in seventh with 52 career points.
• Yazmeen Ryan collected her fifth assist of the season.
• Yazmeen Ryan, Cachet Lue, Tijana Djuricek, Kayla Hill, Ryan Williams, Karitas Tomasdottir, Emma Heckendorn and Ariana Owens played the entirety of the match.
TCU (12-5-1, 6-2-1 Big 12) opens up play in the Big 12 Championships Wednesday evening against Kansas. Game time is set for 8 p.m. at Swope Soccer Village in Kansas City.