Nov. 2, 2017
KANSAS CITY – Kayla Hill
tied the game at one in the 79th minute and Katie Lund
made a big save on the first penalty kick attempt to help TCU advance to the semifinals of the Big 12 Tournament. TCU and Kansas officially played to a 1-1 draw.
The match was a spirited one featuring chances up and down the field for both teams. TCU and Kansas played to a scoreless tie at half time with the Horned Frogs holding a 9-4 advantage in shots.
Katie Lund stood tall in goal, stopping a trio of shots in the first half. TCU had a couple good looks, including a chance in tight off the foot of Allison Ganter, but it couldn’t solve Kansas goalkeeper Maddie Dobyns.
Kansas opened the scoring with a goal in the 62nd minute. TCU was whistled for a foul just outside the 18-yard box. Katie McClure took the free kick and set it to the far corner for a 1-0 Jayhawk lead.
TCU came roaring back creating multiple opportunities as it tried to even the match. The equalizer came in the 79th minute on TCU’s eighth corner kick of the match. Emma Heckendorn’s feed was punched out by Dobbyns, but right to Hill, who headed it in over the leaping keeper.
In penalty kicks, Hill, Ryan Williams, Yazmeen Ryan and Ganter all connected, while Katie Lund made a key save in the first round. A miss on the fourth attempt by Kansas sealed it for the Frogs.
Stat of the Game
7 – TCU played in its seventh overtime of the season, matching the school-record set a year ago. The Horned Frogs are 5-0-2 in overtime this season.
Quotes of the Game
Head Coach Eric Bell
On the game:
“Credit to Kansas for battling for 110 minutes, but I thought our qualities came through over the course of play. We created a bunch of chances, they cleared a couple off the line and we hit a crossbar in overtime. I thought we did really well. In PKs, we were fortunate to win the shootout. Now we move on to West Virginia on Friday night.”
On Katie Lund’s play in goal:
“Big saves in the PKs and big saves in the game. She had a very good, commanding presence throughout the course of the game. She made a big save late in the second half. She did a really good job in the PKs, saving one, and that’s what we ask them to do – save one.”
• TCU advanced to the Big 12 semifinals of a conference tournament for the third time.
• TCU advanced on penalty kicks for the second time (defeated Texas in 2012 to advance).
• TCU moved to 5-0-2 in overtime this season.
• TCU moved to 11-5-18 in overtime under the guidance of head coach Eric Bell.
• TCU is now 35-22-50 all-time in overtime games.
• TCU outshot its opponent for the 14th time this season.
• TCU registered 20+ shots for the fifth time this season.
• Katie Lund made a season-high seven saves in the match.
• Kayla Hill tallied her second goal of the season and the seventh of her career.
• Emma Heckendorn collected her fifth assist of the season and the 21st of her career.
• Heckendorn sits alone in sixth with 53 career points.
• Yazmeen Ryan, Cachet Lue, Tijana Djuricek, Ariana Owens and Ryan Williams played the entirety of the match.
TCU (12-5-2) continues play in the Big 12 Championships Friday evening against West Virginia. Game time is set for 7 p.m. at Swope Soccer Village in Kansas City.