Preview: Oklahoma State and Texas Tech
Sept. 28, 2017
TCU Horned Frogs
(8-3-0, 2-0-0 Big 12 Conference)
Oklahoma State Cowgirls
(8-1-2, 1-0-0 Big 12)
FORT WORTH - TCU aims to stay atop the league standings with a pair of Big 12 contests this weekend starting Friday night against Oklahoma State at 7. The Horned Frogs open a two-game road swing Sunday afternoon at Texas Tech at 1 on FSSW+.
• TCU was one of two teams to open Big 12 play with two wins as the Horned Frogs defeated Kansas and Kansas State by identical 1-0 score.
• The Frogs have registered three straight shutouts spanning 348:45 of game play. Katie Lund has been in goal for all three matches. She ranks eighth in the NCAA with a 0.338 goals against average.
• TCU generated 26 corner kicks over the weekend. The Frogs rank second in the NCAA with an average of 8.64 corners per match.
• Tara Smith was TCU’s only goal scorer, netting the double-overtime winner on Friday night against Kansas.
• TCU won Sunday on a K-State own goal. It was the first time since the Houston Baptist game on Sept. 14, 2012 season that a Horned Frogs won a game on a defensive miscue.
OKLAHOMA STATE NOTABLES
• The Cowgirls are ranked No. 22 in the latest polls after racing out to an 8-1-2 start to the season. Oklahoma State’s lone loss came at #15 Cal on Sept. 17.
• Oklahoma State leads the Big 12 and ranks eighth in scoring at 2.73 and fifth nationally with 30 goals.
• Haley Woodard (5G, 2A) and Anna Beffer (2G, 8A) are tied for the team lead with 12 points each.
• In goal Michela Ongaro and Tanya de Souza have split time in goal, with Ongaro seeing the majority. Ongaro has played in 10 of the 11 games and boasts a 0.98 goals against average.
TCU VS. OKLAHOMA STATE SERIES HISTORY
• TCU and Oklahoma State are meeting for the 10th time.
• Since TCU joined the Big 12 in 2012, the OSU leads the series 2-1-2.
• TCU won the previous meeting in Fort Worth by a score of 3-0 in 2015.
• Three of the previous nine meetings have gone to overtime (2000, 2012 and 2013).
TEXAS TECH NOTABLES
• Texas Tech enters the weekend unbeaten in its last four matches. The Red Raiders defeated Kansas State 3-1 on Friday night before playing to a 1-1 draw with Kansas on Sunday.
• Nine different Red Raiders have contributed to the 17 goals scored by the team.
• Ally Griffin is tied for the Big 12 lead with five goals on the season.
• Marissa Zucchetto and Carissa Christensen have split every game in goal this season, helping the Red Raiders post six shutouts on the year.
TCU VS. TEXAS TECH SERIES HISTORY
• TCU and Texas Tech will be meeting for the 26th time with TCU holding a 12-10-3 series lead.
• The Horned Frogs are 5-5-1 all-time in Lubbock.
• TCU won last year’s meeting in Fort Worth by a score of 1-0.
Tara Smith found herself in the right place at the right time in Friday’s double-overtime win over Kansas. She fired home the game-winner for her second career goal, both of which have been game-winners.
TCU recorded its second double overtime win of the season. TCU has won six of its last nine overtime games dating back to the start of the 2016 campaign. The Frogs are 6-1-2 in those nine games.
TCU boasts the second-best offense in the Big 12 with an average of 6.45 points per game and 2.09 goals per game. Fourteen Horned Frogs have contributed to TCU’s 67 total points this season. Eight Frogs have scored a goal, while 11 have registered at least one assist.
CORNER TO CORNER
The Horned Frogs are one of the top teams in the country in generating corner kicks. TCU averages 8.64 corner kicks per match, a mark that ranks second nationally and first in the Big 12. The 95 total corner kicks taken are the second-most in the NCAA.
HOME SWEET HOME
The Horned Frogs are off to a 6-1 start at home this season. Garvey-Rosenthal has become quite the home field advantage the last two-plus seasons. The Frogs are 19-5-3 at home since the start of the 2015 season. In 2016, TCU tied the school-record for home victories with seven. The Frogs also won seven games in 2008.
TCU has registered three straight shutouts heading into the weekend. It’s the seventh time in program history TCU has turned in three consecutive shutouts. Since Eric Bell came to TCU in 2012, the Frogs have notched 40 shutouts. TCU has recorded a school-record eight shutouts in three different seasons (2012, 2015 and 2016).
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB