Feb. 18, 2018
FORT WORTH, Texas --
An intense, back-and-forth match did not go in favor of the TCU women's tennis team as it dropped a 4-3 contest against Texas A&M Sunday afternoon at the indoor courts at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.
After losing the doubles point to Texas A&M (9-1), TCU (6-5) rebounded to win three of the first four singles matches. With the Frogs leading 3-2, it was down to the final two matches, No. 1 and No. 6 singles. Both went three sets and in favor of the Aggies.
Quotes from the Match
Head Coach Lee Taylor Walker
"We had some great performances by Marie, Sasha, and Donika. Sometimes a loss like that can make you overlook those three quality wins they had. I'm very proud of those three for bouncing back from Friday with such great commitment and character. For Aleksa, Meredith and Stevie, their effort was good and they fought hard, but we have to prepare them better mentally. They are just not committing confidently to the right things under pressure and that's ultimately our responsibility as coaches. So we will be focusing heavily on that this week in preparation for a much improved UCF team. A big thanks to the fans who stayed for that four and a half hour battle. They were great. Congrats to Texas AM for gutting out a victory today."
Texas A&M vs TCU
Feb 18, 2018 at Fort Worth, TX
(Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center)
Texas A&M 4, TCU 3
1. #87 Domenica Gonzalez (A&M) def. #85 Aleksa Cveticanin (TCU) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
2. #90 Aleksandra Zenovka (TCU) def. Macarena Olivares (A&M) 6-4, 6-3
3. Donika Bashota (TCU) def. Eva Paalma (A&M) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
4. #117 Marie Norris (TCU) def. Tatiana Makarova (A&M) 6-2, 6-3
5. Riley McQuaid (A&M) def. Meredith Roberts (TCU) 7-5, 6-1
6. Dorthea Faa-Hviding (A&M) def. Stevie Kennedy (TCU) 6-4, 5-7, 7-5
1. Donika Bashota/Alexis Pereira (TCU) vs. Eva Paalma/Domenica Gonzalez (A&M) 2-5, unfinished
2. Macarena Olivares/Tatiana Makarova (A&M) def. Aleksandra Zenovka/Meredith Roberts (TCU) 6-3
3. Riley McQuaid/Dorthea Faa-Hviding (A&M) def. Aleksa Cveticanin/Elizabeth Tedford (TCU) 6-3
Texas A&M 9-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,5,3,2,1,6)
TCU will return to the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center to wrap-up the month of February by taking on UCF on Friday at 5:30 p.m.